Wednesday, April 30, 2014

First Camo Soap

 

First camouflage soap made yesterday.  To make them look manly, I did not sprinkle any glitters.  I textured and swirled the soap using spoon.
 
Ingredients were Coconut oil, Olive oil, Rice Bran oil, Palm oil, Mango butter and Castor oil.  Fragranced with "shave and a haircut" blended with Peppermint essential oil.  After getting a whiff of this soap, the hubby ask me to make some for him too. Colored with Woodland green, activated charcoal, Titanium Dioxide and brown mica.
 
 
Picture above was taken right after the mold was out of the oven.
 
Pictures below were taken after a few hours of being out of the oven.   The white speckles was troubling to me so I asked the Cold Process group in facebook and was advised that they were just soda ash. 
 

Soda ash normally appear on top of handmade soaps.  Their presence just make the soap visually unappealing.  They are usually prevented by spraying alcohol after molding the soap.  I forgot to do the spraying for this batch.
 


 
Thankfully,  the soap making group advised me to either steam or rinse the soap to remove the ash.
 
Pictures below showed the soap without soda ash after the rinse.
 
I only lined the wide side of the mold and as predicted the ends of the mold including the oval mold which were not lined were bubbly. 

 
I am pretty happy with the camouflage look.  The soaps turned out as expected.
 
 
Happy Soaping!
 
 
 
 



6 comments:

  1. Great camo soap! Good job! Your hubby must be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ewenique. The hubby did like the soap very much. I will have to make more like it.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic soaps....just perfect. Congratulations.
    Are you going to try a pink camo? Quite a few of the clothes shops here have it in
    jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. I have my mind set up for a pink camo. So many design styles I want to try and so many other ingredients I want to incorporate into the soaps.

      Delete
  3. Very cool looking soap! I really like the swirling, especially on the oval one. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soapsudsations. It really is fun playing with the different swirling, definitely my favorite part of soaping.

      Delete